Joining code is: FREEDOM FOR ALL
You must make a post within 48 hours of joining or you will be deleted!

Download Veronica Chapman's books - https://www.freemanmovement.com/veronica-chapman/

Do passengers over 14 have to wear seat belts?

When you register your car are you aware that you are giving it away? Moreover, do you know the difference between travelling and driving? Then there is the road traffic act. So, discuss all the injustices to do with travel and cars etc.
Jed

Post by Jed »

We have a thread on the Freedom Forums about drivers wearing seat belts.
It appears that most of us will always use the seat belt whether they do it by habit or under duress.

My question now would be whether it is against the law for passengers to wear seat belts.
In my car I make sure that all children under the age of 14 wear seat belts.
That's my obligation and I always make sure the kids are safe like that.

Lets say your passenger refuses your request to wear a seat belt in your car and you still carry that person.
Lets also say the police stop you.
You will be not breaking the law because you are wearing your seat belt.
Is your passenger breaking the law for not wearing his/hers?

Since you are not required by law to give your name and address to the police what would happen if your passenger is asked for his/her name and address but they refuse?

Does the dreaded Road Traffic Act only applies to the driver of the vehicle or all the occupants?

I am free and they will not tell me otherwise :angel:
Rodders
Released
Released

Re: Do passengers over 14 have to wear seat belts?

Post by Rodders »

There's a thought!
I don't know the answer but I make sure everyone in my car wears a seat belt regardless.
I would say that it is up to the individual what they do.
I would also say that the police wouldn't be able to do anything if the passenger doesn't wear a seat belt.
If the passenger reuses to co-operate with the police by not giving them their name then there is nothing the police can do?
I know if you are stopped in the street you are not obliged to give your name but maybe the traffic laws are different.
Robin Hood
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post by Robin Hood »

The problem I have with this is that if any of my passengers don't put their seat belt on I get an alarm going off.
I wouldn't normally force someone to wear their seat belt in my car but I have to now that I have changed to a one with sensors in :?
I have drove with my seat belt on while a passenger has left his off ;)
Mike

Post by Mike »

I don't want to be the bringer of bad news but according to legislation, the driver must wear a seat belt.
This applies to all other occupants in the vehicle.
There are only a few exceptions to this.

There is a maximum fine of up to £500.00 although most police can issue you with a fixed penalty of £100.00 if you don't want to go to court to contest it.

This is a "legal requirement" and I know how some people will view this so I will get the pop corn at the ready.

Don't blame me, I am only the messenger :mrgreen:
Keep the bastards honest.
Crab
Released
Released

Post by Crab »

Hi Mike, how would the police be able to get the name from your passenger if they refuse to give them one?
If it was you as a driver they can and will take your car forcing you into giving them a name.
They can't do that to a passenger who will not accept liability for a name.
Zero
Almost Free
Almost Free

Post by Zero »

As long as it is not the responsibility of the driver then the passenger can leave his belt off surely?
Its down to the driver to ensure that anyone under 14 has to wear the seat belt - thats quite clear.
All the passenger needs to do is refuse to speak or co-operate with the lawman and what else can they do?

Sure, they can lock you up but if they can afford the time, the police will eventually have to let him go.
If you don't talk to the police then they cannot associate a name to you.
There is no harm, loss, fraud or breach of the peace so there is no crime committed - would that be fair to say?
Rodders
Released
Released

Post by Rodders »

Mike wrote:I don't want to be the bringer of bad news but according to legislation, the driver must wear a seat belt.
This applies to all other occupants in the vehicle.
The legal term "must" really means "may" ;)
Milkman
Almost Free
Almost Free

Post by Milkman »

I have yet to hear of a passenger getting done for not wearing a seat belt.
Thinking about it, if the passenger doesn't give his name and can afford the time to be locked up then he would be released without any charges or penalty after a certain amount of time.
I still find it hard to swallow that the police can dish out a penalty to someone who chooses not to wear a seat belt.
It proves that they are nothing more than revenue collectors for them in power.
Tanner

Post by Tanner »

Yes, they do.
They didn't miss this out when they made the legislation.